Saturday, March 8, 2014

More Roman Letters from AD43 to 410 Now Almost 1600 Years Ago


How these Roman soldiers longed for fine Italian wine. How they dreaded the attacks of the vicious Picts - the woad-encrusted savages from the north (the Scots) whose raids were to be held off by the new wall of turf and stone stretching across the neck of England called Hadrians Wall. Here are some of  their letters that survived them looking for news from home.

1) “"Paria udonum ab Sattua solearum duo et subligariorum duo." Or - socks, two pairs of sandals and two pairs of underpants”.

2)"My brother Veldeius," complains one. "I'm pretty shocked that you haven't written to me for ages. Have you heard anything from the folks?
"Do say hello to Virilis the vet and ask him if you can get one of our pals to bring me the pair of shears that he promised me after I paid him. Hope everything is going well. Goodbye."

3)"The British are unprotected by armour. There are lots of cavalry. They don't use swords nor do these dreadful British people mount their horses to throw javelins at us.
 To Lucius. The real reason for my letter is to hope that you're in good health.

4) "By the way, a friend has sent me 50 oysters from the Thames estuary on the north coast of Kent,"

5) "Hello there. Hope all's well. I'm in top form - and I hope you are, even though you've been so bloody lazy and haven't sent me a single letter.
I'm so much more considerate than you are, my brother, my messmate. Say hello to Diligens and Cogitatus and Corinthus. Goodbye, my dear brother."


"Oh how I want you to come to my birthday party - you'll make the day so much more enjoyable. I so hope you can make it. Goodbye, sister, my dearest soul."
Sourced

No comments:

Post a Comment